Articles and book chapters
- Historiography of Plant Breeding and Agriculture. In Michael Dietrich, Mark Borrello, and Oren Harman eds. Handbook of the Historiography of Biology (2019). Springer, Cham.
- Life, Time, and the Organism: Temporal Registers in the Construction of Life Forms. Co-authored with Paolo Palladino. Journal of the History of Biology. First online 31st October (2018). This is an open access article.
- Plants are technologies. In Jon Agar and Jacob Ward, Histories of Technology, the Environment, and Modern Britain, (2018). London: UCL Press, pp.161-185. This is an Open Access book.
- Synthetic Biology. Co-authored with Deborah Scott and Jane Calvert, in Sahra Gibbon, Barbara Prainsack, Stephen Hilgartner and Janelle Lamoreaux (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Genomics, Health and Society, (2018). Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 300-307.
- The resisted rise of randomisation in experimental design: British agricultural science, c.1910–1930. History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences. 37 (2015), pp. 242-260. Author copy.
- Agricultural Modernity as a Product of the Great War: The Founding of the Official Seed Testing Station for England and Wales, 1917–1921. War & Society. 34 (2015), pp. 121-139. Author copy.
- Bruno to Brünn; or the Pasteurization of Mendelian genetics. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 48 (2014), pp. 280-286. Author copy.
- The Plant Breeding Industry after Pure Line Theory: Lessons from the National Institute of Agricultural Botany. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 46 (2014), pp. 25-37. Author copy.
- ‘Directed evolution’ as narrative science: a historical reflection on Patricia Clarke’s bacteriology. The Microbiologist. June (2019), pp. 36-39.
- Review: FOLK Exhibition, Oslo. BSHS Viewpoint. February (2019).
- ‘Narrative Science’ at LSE. BSHS Viewpoint. June (2018).
- The historical anatomy of synthetic biology. Plos Synbio Community blog post. Sept (2016).
- Synthesis and the organism: biology, chemistry, and engineering (2018). DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.17137.74088
- Co-authored: Deborah Scott and Dominic Berry, Genetic resources in the age of the Nagoya Protocol and gene/genome synthesis (2018). DOI 10.13140/RG.2.2.36025.47207
- Co-authored: Robert Smith, Claire Marris, Dominic Berry, Lalitha Sundaram and Nikolas Rose, Synthetic Biology Biosensors for Global Health Challenges (2017). DOI 10.13140/RG.2.2.23201.51048
- Book Review: David P.D. Munns, Engineering the Environment: Phytotrons and the Quest for Climate Control in the Cold War (2017). Journal of the History of Biology, (2018) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10739-018-9547-6.
- Book Review: Annie Tindley and Andrew Wodehouse, Design, Technology and Communication in the British Empire, 1830–1914 (2016). The British Journal for the History of Science. 51 (2018), pp. 527-529.
- Book Review: Maurizio Meloni , ‘Political Biology: Science and Social Values in Human Heredity from Eugenics to Epigenetics’ (2016). The British Journal for the History of Science. 50 (2017), pp. 164-165.
- Book Review: William Hoffman and Leo Furcht, ‘The Biologist’s Imagination’ (2014). The Quarterly Review of Biology. 90 (2015), pp. 425-426.
- Book Review: Oren Harman and Michael R. Dietrich (eds.), ‘Outsider scientists: Routes to innovation in Biology’ (2013). The British Journal for the History of Science. 48 (2015), pp. 378-380.
- Thesis Review: Giuditta Parolini- “Making Sense of Figures:” Statistics, Computing and Information Technologies in Agriculture and Biology in Britain, 1920s-1960s’ (2013). Dissertation Reviews. (2014).
- Book Review: Margaret Derry ‘Art and Science in Breeding: Creating Better Chickens’ (2012).The British Journal for the History of Science. 45 (2012), pp. 695-697.
Genetics, statistics, and regulation at the National Institute of Agricultural Botany, 1919-1969. University of Leeds (2014).
Conference Presentation Recordings
- Plants are technologies. For UCL conference ‘Technology, Environment and Modern Britain’ (2016).
- The History of Agricultural Experiment: A Latourian Synthesis of Genetics. For ‘British Society for the History of Science’ annual conference (2014).
- Genetics and Plant Breeding in Interwar Britain: A Double Forgetting of History. For ’24th International Congress of History of Science, Technology and Medicine’ (2013).